The Beachburg Fair has been an annual event in the community and surrounding area of Beachburg since its conception in 1857.
The first fair was held in the hotel of David Beach, the founder of Beachburg. In 1867 the M.P. at the time, John Supple, was instrumental in getting the government to establish a county fair in Beachburg, hence the name became “North Renfrew Agricultural Society”. Recently the name was changed to “Beachburg Agricultural Society” to avoid confusion with the Renfrew Fair.
Subsequent fairs were held in the town hall until land was purchased about 1878 from David Beach’s son, Joseph, and the buildings were gradually built where the present fair grounds are now located. Over the years some of the buildings were destroyed by fire but the directors of the day worked together to rebuild and keep the fair going.
One historical event occurred early in the 1900’s when the Ottawa Farm Journal initiated a competition among various fairs. In 1904 Beachburg placed first in the competition thus winning the prize of a new cement Administration building which is still the office today. As a result of this win, Beachburg was then chosen as the site of the “Illustration Fair” in 1905 for Eastern Ontario. These victories in the past and the fact that our fair is still flourishing is due in part to the foresight, and enthusiasm of subsequent fair boards, local farmers, exhibitors and many, many volunteers.